Sunday, August 9, 2009

Hot summer day

I stayed in most of the day today, did twitter after the loss of service affected my twit, eh bad. yesterday was much fun, got up after early riser for fajr salat, at past wee hours. A planned trip to the zoo in Chicago was in the works.
Some weeks earlier, my family signed up for the family membership with Brook field zoo in Chicago. This was to avoid paying too much, when we visit the zoo with family and friends. Free parking and additional guest at no fee.
The drive through I290 was tite, traffic was a snare, but we finally arrived at the zoo. Parked the car, got everyone out, the kids running all over the place excitedly, but moms and I were alarmed, as they ran through lines of parked cars. My brother's children were really still just babies, the oldest, the girl barely 7 years of age, and her brother just about 5 years old, visiting from Lagos, Nigeria. We called out to them to behave, and screamed at my children who are much older, the oldest a girl, closer in age to 16 years as could get, and the youngest approaching 11 years, to stick close to their cousins, grab their hands and ensure there are no surprises.

But in stock for us were surprises, as we got through the gates of the zoo, the older children were first to spot the carousel, ran towards it, dragging the younger ones along. It was a refreshing sight for me, I could not imagine the much older ones to be excited by this ride. We let them do this, as we the parents and my daughter begin to wonder how we left our drinks back home. The weather man had predicted a very hot and muggy day, yet here we were, with no cool drinks on us.
Buy costly drinks and ice creams, that was what we had to do, while we sight see. The Alligators were a good view, the river Otters swarm to our delight, the Turtle went about their business lazily, while the Snakes were evidently asleep. If the sleeping snake was seen as lazy, we would learn later that the Lion - male ones, sleep for about 20 hours in a day, while the female ones hunt.
After our first stop at the gator's den, the entire party was fatigued. I found that curious, we barely walked half a mile, it must be the sun, scorching hot, humid and unforgiven. Is this a sign that we need to plan for conservation more? I have attempted to bring "green talk on my web site http:// www.truecomfortzone.com.

It was a beautiful outing after all, Giraffes, Polar bear, Camels, and a host of other animals were a delight to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment